Sunday, April 17, 2011

Donation Etiquette

I'm trying to tackle my bulging wardrobe. Most of which has been in there in piles for so long that I am getting surprises as I pull things out, with little memory of ever having owned some of the things in there.

So, needless to say, this is prime territory for charity shop donations. I've got a huge pile already in front of the washing machine ready to be washed, then dried, then donated.

But most of it is not actually dirty, it has just not been worn for a long time. Washing the things would freshen them up, but I do wonder if I am creating extra work for myself, and complicating the situation. I could pull things out of the wardrobe and, if they are clean put them straight into a donation bag. It would also prevent them hanging around for long enough for me to get attached to them all again and want to keep them.

Giving clothes to charity shops is great. Giving plus-sized (I hate that term!) clothes to charity shops is particularly important because there is a lot less choice when you get to size 18+. I don't want to create extra work for the staff of the shops by not washing everything first, but I also don't want to create a huge electricity bill for myself and have days of many items of clothing hanging here, there and everywhere to dry. Especially when they weren't actually dirty to start with, perhaps just a bit musty.

I'm very clear that these are going to be donated. It's not worth selling them on ebay, and the charities, and other fat women will benefit from me donating them. It's just whether I chuck them straight into a bag, or make more of an effort first.

No comments:

Post a Comment