Monday, April 11, 2011

Buyology.

I'm currently listening to the audiobook version of Buyology: How Everything We Believe About Why We Buy is Wrong. As well as borrowing more books from the library, I'm also testing out using audiobooks instead of paper books. The plan is that this will not only reduce the stuff in my house, but also give some relief to my hands and wrists which struggle quite a lot with holding a book these days.

The books is described on audible, where I bought it from, as follows:
Why did so many people who took the 'Pepsi challenge' say they preferred Pepsi only to carry on buying Coca-Cola? Why do the majority of anti-smoking campaigns inadvertently encourage people to smoke? Why does the scent of melons help sell electronic products?

If you're bewildered by these questions, then Buy-ology will make everything clear.

Written by one of the world's top branding gurus, and drawing on state-of-the-art research, it shows why we don't always buy things for the reasons we think we do.
I wondered if it would help me to understand why I sometimes fall for advertising of stuff I don't want or need, and how I can learn to resist that, but I'm not sure it will. I'm only half an hour into it, and it's very interesting, but it's so far predominantly about the neurology of desire and the neurological response to marketing, than anything I can actually apply in my life.

The reviews on audible and amazon aren't great, but I'll stick with it a bit longer and see what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment